Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Part 14 – Slightly Reduced Security

The instant I set foot in 0.4 Sec, I was like a kid left in a candy store after hours. Not just any kid either mind you, but rather like one with an entire set of invincible soviet metal teeth, so cavities would never trouble him again. Like that kid, I was looting the place for all it was worth.

I was shoveling as much loot just lying all over into the cargo of my Procurer as fast as the little shovel in the back could. My eyes glittered, and I felt nothing at all but happiness. I rested back into my chair, wondering if I could take my mind off of things, and go make myself a sandwich while my truck filled up.

Suddenly, my LocalSenses began to tingle once more. Huh. A single person had entered the region. Alright, that isn’t such a big deal. It’s probably another dashing hot-shot maverick renegade like myself, out looking for riches.

I would find out soon enough. He drove right over to me, a compact little ’05 Toyota Shuttle. I had mixed feelings about such a little car, that reminded me rather of a clown car. Still, it was the world’s first disposable car that when melted down yielded just enough metal to construct a handful of nails. I paid it no attention, and the no doubt peaceful driver moved on, not saying a word or even bothering me at all. What business was it of mine what a simple passer-by was up to right?

The reclining seat on my little Procurer went back full tilt as I sat there, yawning. I lifted the calculator to my eyes, and sipped on a Coke 800 I popped out of my ‘Caffeine Injector’ minifridge. This was a useful little thing, giving me the energy needed in tight spots to stay awake. A pity I couldn’t really carry too many of the little things for some inexplicable reason.

As my eyes glittered across the vast numbers of zeroes in my projected profit margin, I felt invincible. No. I was invincible! My bold action had paved my way to fame and riches! Forget mining trash like the Most Secure One and his corporation. My grin spread all the way until I lowered the calculator and took a big look outside at my handiwork.

I saw the fields of gold-veined rocks, and the carelessly discarded stacks of money. I saw the trees, rustling in the wind and white birds flying across a clear sky. I saw four heavy tanks barreling straight down upon my position.

Satisfied, I continued to sip my soda and turned back to reading my projected profit numbers.

Wait a second. Four tanks were crashing down upon me! Two were French-built Megathrons, glittering with weapons and breathtaking sleekness. Another was the massively powerful Apocalypse tank, clad in impenetrable shining armor, and the last was one Tempest tank, built out of what was most likely an old tool shed, a boat’s topsail, and armed with what appeared to be a pair of very long nail files. Inconcievably, this third world tank was just as dangerous as the others, putting into question how just competent the designers of said Megathron and Apocalpyse were.

I stopped thinking of the wastefulness of the Military-Industrial Complex and remembered my current predicament. Perhaps these polite tank drivers were just passing through, I thought to myself. Dilusional thoughts, perhaps. I leaned out the driver side window and waved.

“Um… hi guys! What’re you doing here?” I asked with a toothy grin.

Predictably, they replied with violence.

(to be continued…!)

2 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol! that sucks! can't say i've never been there!

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow..yep that sucked.
I think alot of people have been there.

Vactet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home